Re: [Nolug] Glogs and galleries

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:36:23 -0400

Randy Flood <stock_investor_guy@yahoo.com> writes:

> I have heard that the many of the Democrats run their web servers on
> open source OS's at least...

This is true.

I was the admin for Clark's webserver and I know the people working
on the Kerry Campaign as well as what tools are used by the firms
doing consulting for the DNC.

In fact, at the Clark campaign we had a short Open-Source initiative
to develop Open Source tools to help with campaign management. We
released our modifications to Scoop (a tool used at Kuro5hin.org),
Bugzilla, RT and other software. And we were working on developing
other tools from the ground up.

Screamin' Howard Dean's campaign put together a suite of Open Source
Software and re-released it with their "brand".

The Kerry Campaign is using Perl all over the place. They've got
some great talent (who came from Clark, so I know ;) ) that is
well-versed in deploying and managing a LAMP platform site.

> But, I'd like to think that somewhere in the Democratic party there
> was a big debate over whether to use Linux or *BSD, and that's
> probably a good sign. (There probably wasn't though.)

In the Clark campaign, there was never any debate. They just used
Linux because the technical director (Josh Lerner) is a strong OSS
advocate.

Kerry's campaign is less interested OSS than the people at Clark
were. They're strictly pragmatists when it comes to the technology.

IIRC, Sharpton's "campaign" (I have that in quotes, because it turns
out he had heavy financial backing from ardent conservatives as well
as the Howard Dean campaign -- see the latest Atlantic Monthly for
more) was the only democratic campaign running on Microsoft IIS.

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.