[Nolug] Re: How the media controls society

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:36:49 -0400

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 16:36 -0400, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> Screamin' Howard Dean's campaign put together a suite of Open Source
>
> This *really* irks me.
>
> For all the lots and lots of ngative coverage The Scream got (from
> all kinds of media), we know now that people who were there didn't
> think it was so weird outburst.

You're right. The people there didn't think it was that big of a
deal. Evidently his scream was modeled on a farm-workers event or a
union rally.

The problem with the scream was that, even in the context of his
speech, when you put it on TV, it looks frightening.

Clark Campaign workers had a blast playing that scream over and over
again. There were times when you could hear it going like a wave
through the hall. It was the highlight of the season. And, like any
movement, Dean's supporters capitalized on it. There are sites out
there that supported Dean who have archives of remixes that people
did of the scream.

I don't think there was a media conspiracy. Instead, it was a
spontaneous moment that happened to show a candidate as a real
person. And he was screaming! How many times have you heard a
candidate scream like that?

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.