Re: [Nolug] OT: Politics

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:50:54 -0400

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 16:46 -0400, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>> However, for those of us who see abortion as the taking of innocent
>> life, society must hold those who take innocent life culpable for
>> their actions.
>
> But selfishness (a.k.a situational ethics) usually prevails.

To be clear, society is of two minds about children.

They are innocent and need protection, is the one side. But, a parent
could choose early on whether or not to care for the child. Or,
society would make the choice for them.

Ancient Romans would abandon un-wanted children outside their cities
and towns.

Victorian era girls who became pregnant would give up their child to
"Angel Makers" who would starve the child to death. Some of those
girls would then go on to be wet nurses for affluent families.

In some areas of the world today, parents will abandon a child or
starve it death if it is the wrong gender (usually a girl). Both
India and China are beginning to experience problems where there are
just too many men because young girls were not allowed to live.

American culture (and the legal system) doesn't allow parents to
abandon or kill their born children this way. So we have other, just
as effective, methods for ridding ourselves of unwanted
responsibility.

Thankfully, abortion rates are going down.

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.