Re: [Nolug] UNO closed

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:25:52 -0400

-ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> writes:

> What floor? Does the cat 5 rating keep the water out? The building that
> houses our data center has been here since 1938 and is made of solid
> concrete (*really* helps the wireless signals...). Between building
> elevation and raised floor, it's a good 3-4 feet from ground level. Would
> take a massive flood here in Hammond to get that much water...

3-4 feet from ground level is pretty sorry. Or do you mean sea level?

I would consider 2nd floor the minimum for a data center in New
Orleans.

> With the approaching storm, i'm just curious, how many of ya'lls companies
> have a disaster recovery/contigency plan in place should your main data
> communications site or equipment become incapacitated?

I'm not there, but MMSs disaster recovery was interesting back in '99
(IIRC). They put a box of tapes on a plane to their office in
California.

They also had some pretty serious data storage on the second floor of
the building they were in. The paper files were on the first floor,
though...

McDermott (who still seem bent on leaving NO) have a really nice data
center on the 4th floor of the building they're in. They're
Operations guy spent one hurricane a in the Hyatt and walked through
the New Orleans Center to the office to check on his equipment.

Of the datacenters I've seen in NO, DirectNic's still continues to
impress me the most. 6000+ sq feet on the 10th floor of Poydras with
a fuel truck for the generators parked on the 9th floor of the
parking garage.

But, seriously, anyone who left off considering disaster recovery
until the week of the hurricane is in for some trouble.

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.