Re: [Nolug] Why AMD64?

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:55:01 -0500

ACT! is a contact management program. I highly doubt that 64 bit is
neccesary for it, unless you've got a very large number of salespeople
connecting to a centralized db.

Generically speaking, 64 bit should improve performance, when the code
takes advantage of it. Possibly even dramatically. But this takes
time, if anyone remembers the switch from 16 to 32-bit, it took years.

I'm sure some kernel hackers have done benchmarks testing their 64 bit
releases, but it's hard to compare hardware at that point.

--
Alex McKenzie   alex()boxchain.com   http://www.boxchain.com
skype:boxchain