[Nolug] polite rant (was: Webhosting suggestions?)

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 22:04:14 -0500

Guys,

Maybe it's just me, but when I got into this thing back early 2000, the thing
to do if you were a self-respecting Linux geek was to set up your own
web/mail/DNS/whatever server if you were rich enough to get a DSL line. I
understand that several providers have taken it upon themselves to block
outbound web and mail, but still, I see a lack of enthusiasm on this list and
the nolug list about such things.

Maybe everyone's just into using Linux as a desktop OS these days, and that's
fine, but if any of you are thinking of doing any kind of administration or
support for a living, I strongly suggest that you leverage the fact that you
have at your disposal the best networking OS available, for free. You might
not have access to Cisco gear --- I still don't, but that hasn't stopped me
from learning at least something about practically every aspect of networking
and computers. As a result of my inquisitiveness and tinkering, I quite often
end up instructing Cisco- and other-certified techs a thing or two now and
then. I don't claim to be much of an expert, you understand, but I've played
with this stuff on a non-click-and-drool OS for so long, I've gotten to know
my way around the networking model.

^C

On Monday May 2 2005 20:41, michael dolan spake:
> It's actually been a few years since I've done it. I think it might be
> time to do it again. I just played around with it anyway, and when the
> Mb died in that computer I stopped.. I knew cox upped both down and
> upload speed, but I had a brain freeze. Sorry, I had an exam today.
> Michael
>
> Joey Kelly wrote:
> >On Monday May 2 2005 17:24, michael dolan spake:
> >>You can easily get around your ISP blocking port 80, but the upload
> >>speeds will kill you on a cable connection.

"I may have invented it, but Bill made it famous."
 --- David Bradley, the IBM employee that invented CTRL-ALT-DEL