RE: [Nolug] Area DSL providers

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 20:53:04 -0600

Hi Christoph.

I've only had one user ever hit the limit. He was downloading movies and
music almost continuously for months. I also have a 200 hour limit on my
dial-in accounts. Anyone who spends more than 6 hours a day online probably
should have a faster connection.

But if it causes you concern, give me a shout and we can talk.

As someone already mentioned, I use BellSouth to supply the "last mile",
that's the link between the customer and the phone company central office.
>>From there it goes to my site and my servers, then on through my connections
to the Internet. Most ISP's who offer ADSL around here do likewise.

You will see differences between the ADSL vendors (BellSouth, I-55, Earthlink,
Southern Star included) when it comes to features (static IP, multiple
computer support, virus and spam scanning, business services, etc), types of
equipment supported, tech support and of course pricing (especially extra
"cost recovery fees").

Btw - I offer a 5% discount to NOLUG members and I'm Linux and BSD friendly.
:-)

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com