Re: [Nolug] They say that no good turn goes unpunished...

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 20:33:00 -0500

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Jeremy <listbox@unix-boy.com> wrote:
> Frankly we don't care if you would never moved to location X for said job
> because of reason Y, don't like the contract terms, etc.  If the job didn't
> work for you, all you had to do is delete the posting.   I understand that
> the cesspool that is now the internet makes it so easy to comment on
> everything, but the truth is that some things really don't need commentary.

Well, you think they can't use commentary, but obviously there are people
who disagree with that assesment; on a mailing list, any posting is probable
to result in some type of discussion, regardless of the subject, especially if
there are a lack of other things being discussed.

It's not something there _ought_ to be an issue about... it's just the natural
course of things for any type of discussion list.

IMO, I see no problems with people making job postings. But you
better be prepared for people, who are all entitled to their opinion, to
reveal their opinion about the content of the posting, and make fair
criticisms based on their perceptions about the kind/quality of
what is actually offered, etc.

Probably if they saw nothing to criticize they would fall under the "people
who don't see a need for commentary"; therefore you shouldn't expect
to see a bunch of people posting "That was a really cool offer, thanks"
even if 99% of the list members feel that way.

It is basically a certain thing that they will be silent.

>  No sane person ever wrote editorials to the newspaper complaining about the
> jobs in the classified section.

See... this isn't a newspaper. But even if people wrote editorials slamming
job offers in the classified section; (1) it would not be the people
interested in the
job offers writing the editorials, and

(2) their writings would not dissuade people who read the offer an determined
the job met their needs. The editorial might give them new information, however.

In other words: the people submitting to the classifieds should
continue to do so,
even if they found people complaining about them in the editorials...
they should not be dissuaded over such petty matters as editorial
complaints....

--
-JH